Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Time and the day Elvis died ...

I saw that today's the day in 1977 that Elvis died.



I remember the day well - the news had come on the radio.  It was a shame, because I'd always wanted to meet him - he was "the King" after all of rock'n'roll.  And now it seemed impossible.

With fascination I remember watching my parents alarm clock - it was an old pre-digital flip-number alarm clock ...




I think I watched it for about 15 minutes, watching with interest how the numbers recycled themselves.  They moved, and turned right over - 9 became 0 became 1.

And I wondered to myself if time itself came to a threshold, and rolled over again to play out again.  If so - next time I'd have til 1977 to try and meet Elvis on the next go through.

I was 7 at the time, but the idea held ... and grew.  I ended up studying physics and astronomy and finding indeed the Universe might just do something very similar in the Big Crunch - an event which would be the opposite of the Big Bang that started it all.

However I'm still no closer to travelling back to see Elvis ...

1 comment: